Most dogs love nothing more than when their owner gives them a bite of food from their plate. For us as owners, it sometimes takes quite a bit of self-control not to do so. And really, most of the food we eat ourselves will be just as delicious and nutritious for your four-legged friend.Unfortunately, there are also foods that we enjoy but which might be quite dangerous for canines due to the differences in our digestive tracts and other biological traits. There are foods that might cause some discomfort in dogs, but there are also those that are outright fatal for them.In short, the following foods are never to be given to your canine friend 1. ChocolateThis is something that even little kids know – you do not give chocolate to a dog. We almost feel silly having to write this, but for the unlikely eventuality that there is actually someone out there who owns a dog and wonders if they should give their dog chocolate, we have to tell them no. Never.The main reason why chocolate is the worst treat you can give to a dog is a compound known as theobromine which is found in chocolate, especially in dark chocolate. The dogs lack the ability to metabolize this compound and it can lead to serious health problems and even death.If you notice that your dog is vomiting, having seizures, tremors or diarrhea, these may be signs of chocolate poisoning. It can lead to respiratory failure and cardiac arrest which usually ends in death.
You would not expect something that is perfectly natural and found commonly in nature to be that dangerous for dogs, but grapes are definitely not something they should snack on. This is something humans discovered almost as soon as they started cultivating grapes some 8,000 years ago.
While the cause is largely unknown, it has been determined that ingesting grapes and even raisins can lead to renal failure. For those who are not familiar with the medical jargon, this means that grapes wreak havoc on dogs’ kidneys.
Perhaps the strangest fact about grapes and dogs is that some individual dogs are able to eat grapes without any problems whatsoever. Still, this is not something you want to test out and it’s best to keep them away from grapes altogether.
3. GARLIC AND ONIONS
Garlic and onions belong to the same family, the onion genus, which is called Allium in Latin. The reason for this is that it contains a substance called Allium and as you can imagine, this substance is the reason why your dog should never eat any of the vegetables from this genus.
The good news is that the dog needs to eat large amounts of garlic or onions to become sick. If they do, it will actually interfere with the production of red blood cells in the system which will lead to a whole range of different health issues, some of which can be extremely dangerous.
Some of the signs that indicate they have eaten onions or garlic include: pale gums, vomiting, lethargy, weakness, shortness of breath and diarrhea. It is nothing to joke about. Keep your dog away from garlic and onions!